Sunday, 22 January 2012

Zoya Mirrors

Well! Here I am.


I had big ideas and big plans for this blog... Now the time has come though, I seem to have forgotten what any of those were... I guess, the best place to start is with some swatches, and what better than nail polish! I think we'll kick this baby off with a whole collection.


Now, you need to bare with me here - these are my first ever swatches, and they're a bit shit. I feel I did pretty good, considering I'm terrible at taking photos and I couldn't figure out my camera's settings to save my life... But if you want colour accuracy, you're better off to go and have a visit to the lovely Temptalia and see what amazing photos she manages to take.


But here's my weak (okay, I'm being modest) reasonable first attempt, with
Zoya Mirrors
Jem



Jem
So, kicking us off is Jem. This one surprised me, it was a much more plum-y shade of purple than I'd expected. I also felt the gold sheen really wasn't as apparent on the nail as it was in the bottle... Considering this collection is completely the wrong time of year for me, I was surprised at how these babies sparkled in the sunlight, I feel like the cloudier months wouldn't do this collection much justice.


Marina
Marina
Now, I wasn't really well prepared when I went into swatching this collection. They belong to my Mum see, and I spent the day at her house and figured I might as well take photos of the colours she has that I don't, make use of my time well. I hadn't seen the similarities in Marina and Tao until after I'd finished. There is a nice shimmery blue base in Marina, that isn't apparaent in Tao. Took a couple of coats to get some oomph into that colour, but in the same form as Jem, this baby really gave it all she had when I took her out in the sun.


Neeka
Neeka was going to be my favourite. I'm a sucker for a purple polish (which is odd, because I used to HATE the colour purple) but on my nails (especially toesies) I think it looks amaze. But Neeka was underwhelming. I felt her gold got lost in that amazing purple base... I'd still wear her again. But it made me sad, I had such high expectations.


Nimue
Nimue
I felt the same with Nimue as I did with Neeka such big potential in a colour. In the bottle, this reminded me of Butter London's Marrow, a nice purple with a smoky silver sheen. On the nail, this one came out a bit too streaky for me to call it a win.


Tao
I loved Tao, and as I've already said too many times in this post, she sparkled in the sunshine. But I'm over greys. They're sooooo last year. It's summertime here in old Melbourne town, and I want to get some colour in my world. I might take Tao for a spin again in a few months see if I love her more under the cloudy overcast Melbourne autumn sky.


Yara
And finally, we have Yara. I think I might make the call and say Yara was my favourite of the bunch. I do love me a good green, and I would put her in the same family as Neeka, but with more gutsy glitter, that doesn't get lost in the swampy murky green.


So, all in all. I like them. I think they're all super pretty and look radiant in direct sunlight. But since they're such autumn colours, and that's just not where my tastes are at the moment, i'm feeling under whelmed. I'll definitely give them another shot later in the year. But for now, I'm going to get stuck into my oranges, pinks, and pastels.







No comments: