Wednesday, 25 January 2012

NOTD - Chanel Quartz

This is so exciting! My blog's been up less than a week, and already I'm over 50 views! - I really hope I haven't just jinxed myself and my views stop there... Ahhh well, even if that happens I know I've still got dear young Mumsy reading...

Speaking of Mumsy - she chose this lovely polish for my NOTD. Unfortunately we had a funeral to attend, so I wasn't really feeling my usual summer brights, that would hardly have been appropriate. I wore just a simple black singlet dress, long at the back, knee length at the front (y'know - that style that seems to have been super popular recently... every girl and her mum has one. Yeah, I jumped on that bandwagon.) I felt I needed something to pop against it, without being too in-your-face. After a few frantic texts to mum, she decided on Quartz for my fingers and Chanel Particuliere for my toesies (you'll have to imagine how lovely that looked. I'm not putting my feet on the internet... too weird). My Mum's recently jumped on the polish bandwagon - she gets over 15 polishes and considers herself an expert. Drops polish names and knowledge at every available opportunity. (Mama: I'm not being mean - it's wonderful how you do that!)

Anyway! POLISH. I give you - Chanel - Quartz
Chanel Quartz (with flash)

Quartz is one of "those" outstanding sparklers in the sun, out of their Fall 2011 Illusions d'Ombres collection. Many months ago I'd shown Mum this post on All Lacquered Up and she instantly fell in love with Peridot. She was calling Chanel counters all over Melbourne who were (LYING) telling her they would not be getting that collection in. So we decided rather than risk missing out, we'd try shopping via a shipping service from chanel.com. There we were, looking at the measly $26 price tag, thinking we'd scored the jackpot with half price Chanels! Unfortunately, after the shipping service added their percentage and postage costs, it worked out to be no cheaper  - and the colours turned up in Myer counters EVERYWHERE only a month later.

Chanel Quartz (without flash)


I can safely say, this is not my best manicure. I took these photos and frantically ran to find some cuticle oil. That middle finger gives me goosebumps with all its dry cracked skin. There is minor tip wear on my ring and pinky fingers, and bubbling on my index. Please don't judge the polish on those misgivings, the bubbling I think was more my base coat (it doesn't usually do it, but I think I knocked the bottle around a bit much and it was feeling a bit shaken) The tip wear was more due to my in ability to sit still and stop fidgeting and typing while they dried.

Now, with Chanel polishes I am a firm believer in the old Stickey sandwich (CND Stickey Base coat, coat of polish, coat of stickey, another coat or 2 of polish & then topcoat) it may sound complicated, but it's really only adding in one extra step. When paying $42AU for a polish, you'd expect it to have a bit more staying power than Chanel's usually do. But alas, I feel you're paying for the colours (or brand) as opposed to formula. Don't get me wrong - Chanel's go on like a dream, I just find their staying power doesn't live up to the pricetag... That being said, I never think twice about buying them and I don't think I ever will.

I love Quartz in the sunlight (that's getting to be a bit of a theme for me...) but I find it underwhelming indoors. I can see visible brush strokes, and it just has no sparkle factor. Just another dull mid toned metallic. Take this baby into the sunshine on the other hand, and get a whiff of all its glittering gorgeousness.


I'll never give it up, but I don't think it's worth the price tag, I wouldn't recommend spending the money on this... BUT if you have a friend with this colour, I highly recommend borrowing it and taking it out for a spin.





Now, for getting through all that, you get a little treat. Meet my newest friend,

BRUCE 


My dear friend Tom bought Bruce for me. He ordered it online to my house, before realizing it needed helium to go with it. I got a tank of that too. Bruce is my helium filled remote controlled flying shark. As I said to the guy who makes my coffee in the morning - "Nothing says Australia day like flying sharks" We named him after the delightfully bogan shark, Bruce, from Finding Nemo. My house mate and I have some guests staying with us from France for a few days, they thought it was ridiculous. Although, after a while, they started to take immense pleasure over watching me jump with joy over flying him around the living room in circles. I may just have to do a post of him for you, he deserves the limelight. And you really need to see a video of him in action...



Have a wonderful Australia Day everyone!!! xx


No comments:

Post a Comment